Looking for the perfect gift for a beloved mom-to-be, new mom, mom of three (or ten!), or your own mom or grandmother? It’s hard, because most women with children focus all their energy on their kids and don’t ask for or want much, but you want to get them SOMETHING . . . anything that will actually be useful.
Maybe you’d like to buy something to help her improve her strength and fitness, but . . . Hello! Talk about awkward, right? What if she slaps you, doesn’t use it, or cries every time she looks at you or your gift for days?
As a mom who spent many years being sensitive about my body’s shifting landscape, I need to tell you that gifting exercise-oriented gifts doesn’t have to be insulting when you remember these two things:
- Do not make it about her body. Thanks to genetics, bodies come in all shapes and sizes and colors, and each one is beautiful and strong already. You’re doing this because you love her and you want her to feel even more beautiful, strong and healthy in her own skin. You’re doing this because studies show that exercise helps fight the two biggest killers of mothers: heart disease and depression.
- Mamas: treat her how you wish you could be treated as a new mother. I wish someone had offered me these loving gifts when I was pregnant or a new mama, because that would have helped break the horrible cycle of diastasis recti, pain, leaking, and feeling sorry for myself—AND it would have contributed to a better birth and pregnancy my next time around!
My Gift Ideas For Mom-To-Be
If the special mother in your life is pregnant, get her things that will make her pregnancy more comfortable, or get her things that will ease her recovery from birth. Click the links for examples:
- Huge pillow for supporting her body and belly at night
- Maternity splint to support her stretching abs so she can minimize her diastasis
- New slippers or cute shoes for her swelling feet–I recommend avoiding heels!
- The Fit2B Prenatal Fitness Program so she can exercise at home
- Prenatal Core Rehab with The Tummy Team for her tired pelvic floor and aching lower back
Use this code to save 10% off your Tummy Team Purchases: Fit2B
Gift Ideas for the brand new mama
Statistically speaking, women in their first postpartum year after having a baby must cope with some shockingly difficult things. For example, about 50% experience leaking, 64% experience sexual dysfunction (lecture: Khajehei, Marjan et al.), and about 40% are still dealing with abdominal separation 6 months after baby is born.
I promise you can offer a helpful gift for these things without saying something dumb about their stomach—never do that—or about the problems they may be having like, “Here’s a gift to help with that leaking I know you’re experiencing.” Don’t do that, either, UNLESS you have experienced it as well, and you’re willing to share your story of overcoming it!
- Bathtub trays like these to promote her taking relaxing epsom salt baths that will help her body heal
- A therapeutic abdominal splint—not a waist trainer—can reduce these issues when used in concert with physical therapy or restorative exercises like the ones we offer here on Fit2B
- Gift certificate to her fave restaurant, because mom needs to eat and stop starving herself to “get her body back.” She especially needs healthy fats!
- Core Foundations online rehab program from The Tummy Team
- A fitness program that gives her permission to take it slow and gentle; this will also help her connect to her core again, improve core and pelvic strength, and help her fight heart disease and depression with motion! Check out the Fit2B: Postnatal Fitness Program!
Gift Ideas for all moms and grandmothers
Every mama-body needs attention, care, nourishment, rest, and movement, no matter what age she is! With 50% of all women suffering from pelvic organ prolapse, 37.4% of all female athletes suffering from stress incontinence, and 28% having anal incontinence (lecture: Yi, Johnny, MD et al.), we have an obligation to share helpful information and resources with them.
Here are some things I believe will benefit and bring joy to moms of all ages and stages:
- Same as the above when it comes to slippers, new shoes, restaurant gift cards, bathtub tray, new pillow—any type of self-care item that lets her know you think her wellness is worth it
- A new relaxing-yet-stimulating book to read, like At Home In The World or Lord Of The Rings or Medical Therapeutic Yoga . . . (That last one would make the anatomy nerd mama in your life very happy!)
- Gift Certificate to Fit2B so she can pick what she wants to do, and you know she’ll be safe while getting stronger
- Floor Of Your Core: online educational rehab specific to pelvic pain and incontinence for women of all ages
I know I said earlier to be careful how you present these gifts, but maybe we could be more open, especially in light of all the funny memes saying, “Sorry I made you pee your pants all these years, Mom! Happy Mother’s Day!” And we could add: maybe this will make up for it and help it stop.
We need to be more open about these issues, facing them, addressing them, getting treatment for them, connecting the mothers in our lives with resources like physical therapy and fitness options like Fit2B that won’t make things worse.
Our tribe has women of all backgrounds and life-stages raving about how we have helped them build endurance:
“I was lifting my extra-heavy cast iron skillet the other day and suddenly noticed I was engaging my transverse WITHOUT thinking about it! I love that good form and alignment is beginning to become second nature, what a blessing! Oh yeah and people have stopped eyeing my tummy and asking if I’m pregnant.” –Angela L.
“I love the focus on functional fitness and strength rather than the bikini body goal. Being encouraged and allowed to love myself NOW and not just when I get results.” –Mandy P.
“i am a grandmother of 8… i joined fit2b to keep flexibility, strength and age gracefully. I love Beth’s calm / clear/ voice, her reliable instruction and wisdom. :)Fit2B is truely a blessing.” –Kari H.
“I love Fit2B for sooooo many reasons but it is so convenient and helpful to workout on my schedule. Also LOVE that I can workout in my living room with my 3 young boys around not worrying about the outfits beth will wear! Thank you for your modesty!” –Marcie B.
Your Turn! Please comment!
Do you have any gift ideas for mothers and grandmothers? Have you received gifts like the ones mentioned above and been blessed by them? How? What are your recommendations?
3 thoughts on “Gift Ideas for Pregnant Women, New Mothers, and Grandmothers!”
Pingback: Mother's Day Thoughts - Looking for Marbles
Pingback: Tiny Steps of Hope - Looking for Marbles
Bring her a meal or give gift cards for them! If she has young kids,bring them a basket of outdoor activities and snacks that don’t need much (if any) of her help. Offer to come stay with her kids for 2 hours while she goes out for whatever with whoever. The gifts of time and service are huge for any mom. Even moms of only angel babies💞