I recently had the privilege of interviewing Carrie Koziol from Pilates By Carrie. She’s unique because she is also a licensed Women’sHealthPhysical Therapist who is highly trained and knowledgeable about diastasis recti and pelvic floor dysfunction. Carrie compares cores to houses with your transverse abdominis being the front door, the roof being your diaphragm, and your pelvic floor being the foundation.
Carrie sends all her clients to Fit2B after they’ve completed core rehab in her local classes because she believes it’s a solid bridge between physical therapy and returning to full fitness safely. She herself utilized Fit2B during her own re-entry to fitness after rehab.
Her analogies and insights into abdominal rehabilitation are eye-opening and thought-provoking. We had so much fun geeking out and laughing during this interview, and I think you’ll enjoy taking a walk while you play it for yourself!
My favorite parts of the interview were…
- 1:28 – Where she shares her house analogy.
- 5:10 – She shares about her own diastasis and calls it “annoying” which cracked me up!
- 6:45 – How she found Fit2B and how it helped her transition back into fitness.
- 10:30 – We are showing each other how we’re positioned during the interview: Me at my squatting station, her at her standing station. Totally not planned or discussed.
- 14:10 – Just before and after this, she brings up MENOPAUSE and how estrogen is a plumping hormone that can hide core and PF issues, so they aren’t detected until our 50s and harder to correct them!
- 20:00 – Her comments on our Experts On Diastasis eCourse and the holistic approach to treating diastasis recti.
- 22:30 – The way female athletes get treatment for scars and are told that scarring can affect the range of motion, while postpartum women with scar tissue are told so little!
- 25:30 – Her tips on finding a good physical therapist in your area.
- 38:35 – Her summary of her own personal recovery and the role Fit2B played.
You may have to back up a bit more from where my times are noted since those are just places I bookmarked when she’d say something awesome!
Back to You
What do you think of this interview? What questions do you have for Carrie? Leave a comment below and she’ll respond within a few days!